Tooth sensitivity is caused when your inner part of your tooth called Dentine is gradually exposed which is usually covered by gums and tooth enamel. Sensitivity is a painful condition as the roots of the tooth are exposed. One experience discomfort or pain in a tooth on eating cold, sweet, acidic, air or warm foods. Some may also experience sudden pain while flossing or brushing of teeth. As the dentin is connected to nerves directly when it is exposed to irritation or sharp pain shoots up. Enamel acts as a protective layer to the inner layer called dentin, which is slightly softer than enamel. But if due to some reason enamel layer is worn out, cracked teeth, root erosion or if there is some disease in gums this problem arises. But sensitivity is not a serious issue or a risk factor, it can be cured or corrected. Dentin contains many microscopic tubules, which leads to the tooths pulp, which allows hot, cold, sticky substances to reach the nerves when exposed and results in sharp pain. Hard brushing with a hard-bristled toothbrush can also cause the dentin to expose. Sore gum tissue or infection in teeth, grinding of the teeth, plague building on teeth, long term use of mouth wash, dental procedures all these factors lead to tooth sensitivity.
The factors that causes sensitivity are as follows:
- Sometimes composite fillings may also cause tooth sensitivity, which is usually fixed by adjusting the bite.
- During Teeth-whitening treatments harsh chemicals are used, which removes stains but simultaneously also remove tooth enamel layer causing to tooth sensitivity.
To eradicate these certain studies have investigated ways to lessen pain, like applying a desensitizing gel before whitening. Another solution is reducing the acidity in bleaching gels which resulted in lesser pain. Sensitivity can never be completely eradicated unless reasons of sensitivity are completely eliminated.
There is no single treatment to cure sensitivity but many other types of treatment which each dentist chooses which he likes the most. The treatment type includes:
- Proper diagnosis for finding out the reason for the sensitivity is essential because once the reason is addressed, a treatment chosen for decreasing the pain will be more successful.
- One should use sensitivity kinds of toothpaste as they are specially designed for sensitivity. These kinds of toothpaste contain potassium nitrate, which helps in reducing pain.
- Also use a mouth rinse with stannous fluoride, which will desensitize your teeth.
- Also, avoid cold drinks and food that are cold, also wear a Mouthguard which will cushion and protect your teeth from nightly grind.
- One should regularly every month visit to a dentist nearby for a dental checkup which will identify the problem and solve in an earlier stage. One can ask their dentist to painted on barriers on teeth with desensitizing agents like fluoride varnish or plastic resins. They will be needed to reapply if they wear off after a few months or years.
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and with gentle brushing, as aggressive brushing will lead to bleeding of the gum.
- Avoid acidic foods and drinks like coffee and citrus fruits that lead to sensitivity. Else make a habit to drink milk after eating acidic foods or drinks to neutralize the acid.
- Often people grind their teeth while they are sleeping, they might not even realize it. But unexplained headache and jaw pain could be a clue. This can be stopped by relaxing or wearing a mouth guard.
- Good oral hygiene can prevent gum receding problem.
A dental filling is cleaning decayed part of the tooth and then fill it with filling materials like porcelain, gold, composite resin, amalgam, silver, copper, tin and sometimes zinc. Tooth cavity filling cost may depend upon the material used for filling. Tooth cavity filling also needs local anesthetic around the tooth to numb the area around the tooth. Later the dentist will drill of decayed part of the tooth with an instrument and then make space for the filling.
Several additional steps are involved in tooth-colored fillings. When the decay is deep, root canal treatment is carried on. Where inside of a tooth is cleaned and disinfected completely, sealed with rubber gutta-percha. Later tooth is restored with filling or crown for stronger function. If ignored the issue can be deeper which will them be resolved with RCT. Root canal treatment cost also varies from case to case and depends upon the type of damage created.