Table of Contents
The drop in temperature and the onset of the winter has spelt boon for a lot of us as it gives the much-needed break from the sweltering heat of the summers that prevails during the major part of the year in India.
But along with the cold evenings and the smoggy mornings, there also emerged a wide range of ailments and infections. They attack the immune system as the body adjusts to the changing climate. Cough, asthma, sore throat are some of the most common diseases to attack you during this time.
Here are some of the most common winter ailments, their causes and some tips about how to stay away from them.
Asthma gets worse as the airways get tighter and clogged with mucus during the winter season. The allergens of asthma also tend to linger in the air for a very long time and irritate the nasal passage leading to asthma.
- Keeping the house dry and clean is of pivotal importance when you are staying indoors.
- For preventing a possible asthma attack, you should try to stay indoors as much as possible to avoid pollution and dust.
- You should restrict the time with your pets as they trigger the attack of asthma.
- You should ensure that you cover your mouth and nose with scarves to stay warm as you venture outdoors.
- You should also use the inhaler whenever it is required and follow your doctor’s medication as prescribed religiously.
Coughing occurs when the airways between the lungs and the throat get blocked by pollution and dust. This is more prevalent during the winters as the particles remain suspended in the air for a very long time. The body strives to clear the pathways that are blocked as a result of which you start coughing.
- Congestion can be cleared by using hot fluids.
- While traveling or going out, you should avoid dust by covering your mouth.
- Get hot steamy showers as much as possible as this way you can get rid of the phlegm and also succeed in relaxing the nasal tracts.
- Ginger tea and black pepper tea help to get rid of cough.
- You can also get some relief from cough by gargling with hot water and salt.
When you are having an itchy or burning sensation at the back of your throat you may have a sore throat. Tenderness and pain at the time of swallowing are also symptoms of a sore throat. This one is also accompanied by a cough, cold and mild fever. Therefore, you should keep track with a quality digital thermometer that you can get at the best digital thermometer price online and ensure that you take the right precautions at the right time.
- For temporary relief, you can go for saltwater gurgles that help you relax and diminish the soreness and pain to a great extent.
- The irritation can also be reduced temporarily by taking lozenges.
- If the soreness is persistent then you should see your doctor without much delay.
The above are some of the most common winter ailments. Now that you know how to deal with them you should enjoy the season to the fullest.