Myopia or nearsightedness is a condition of the eye that causes distant objects to go blur. But the near objects can be seen clearly. The person suffering from myopia will be able to read a book or a computer screen even without glasses but will have difficulties to recognize the faces across the room. The person will also have difficulty in driving safely without eyeglasses or contact lenses.
Why Is Myopia A Concern?
Recently it is researched that the kids as compared to earlier days are becoming nearsighted. It makes people frightened that if this trend continues, then almost half of the population will be short-sighted by 2050.
It is also a concern that every year about a significant number of people is suffering from myopia. Hence the myopia treatment is more effective these days and it can make your vision normal in modern surgical treatment as well. But you need to keep in mind that it may increase the risk of serious eye problems if not treated. The common problems that may arise are cataracts, retinal detachment, and glaucoma.
Myopia Treatment Options
- The myopia treatment options should be known to all as this problem may appear anytime. The eye specialist usually prescribes glasses as well as corrective lenses in order to correct the myopia condition. These help in focusing the images directly and that too onto the retina. This helps the person to see clearly. But the problem is that it does not cure the condition. You must wear them when you are doing outdoor activities or even driving a car. It will help you to read distant boards or see things that are located quite far away.
- There are also certain surgical procedures about which people want to know. This surgery is for vision correction. This is the most common process for myopia treatment. This is called as Lasik eye surgery and the other common one is PRK or also known as Photorefractive Keratectomy.
- Lasik eye surgery is basically commonly used for myopia treatment as well as other problems like Hyperopia and Astigmatism. This is the procedure where the cornea of the eye is reshaped. Hence the light that is entering the eye focuses directly on the retina. This will ultimately give you a clear vision. This is basically a painless procedure and the eye specialist will only take about 15 minutes to complete the surgery.
- Myopia is very common and is affecting almost 30 % of the American population. The eye grows during childhood and this condition is reached before the child reaches 20 years of age.
- It is diagnosed when one has a problem to see distant objects clearly. It is identified when the child often squints or has trouble seeing the chalkboard or the movie screen and the television set. Therefore, the eye specialist recommends for the optometric examination that is including myopia treatment.
- The common question arises that will it affect the normal lifestyle. Mostly the individuals, mainly kids adopt the habit of wearing glasses or contact lenses. If anyone feels that glasses will affect their image, then they can opt for contact lenses or refractive surgery. The myopia treatment is such that it will not affect you in any type of occupations that you are busy with.
The prevalence of myopia is increasing rapidly. The complications are associated with both social and economic costs. It is sometimes found that high myopia is adulthood can be traced back to childhood problem. The treatment must begin at a very early stage that will prevent the retardation later when you grow up.
The fact is that the condition of myopia is not well understood. So, once it is detected by the eye specialist, preventive measures should be taken, the related treatment should be done as recommended by the specialist.