Table of Contents
Intestinal worms, also known as parasitic worms cause a variety of health issues and affect mostly the deprived and low communities. People of any age can have intestinal worms but the children are most commonly affected. In Ayurveda, we can correlate this with Purishaja Krimi.
So, in this article we will come to know about intestinal worms (purishaja krimi) and how they influence our health. Also, we will provide the management tips with Ayurvedic herbs and classical formulations.
Intestinal worms are parasites which live inside the human body by absorbing vital nutrients from the body. They are of different types. Some are common in adults and some in children. Roundworms, tapeworms and hookworms are mostly found in adults whereas threadworms, pinworms and whipworms are in children. The intestinal worms are pervasive in all parts of the world but are most common in tropical and sub- tropical regions.
The main cause of intestinal worms is weak immunity, more interaction with dust and contaminated soil (especially in the cases of Children) along with mismanaged lifestyle and dietary habits. There are male and female worms.
In adults, the male worms live in the intestine, and the female worms move towards anus. Female worms lay eggs in the anus. These eggs are excreted by the body with feces.
They lay in the environment for many days until they get ingested due to unhygienic habits. They may enter the body through food and water, starting breeding in the intestine.
Some of the general symptoms showing the presence of intestinal worms are:
- Loss of appetite
- Anal itching at night
- Bad breath
- Unexplained weight loss
- Vomiting (Rare)
- High grade fever in case of severe infections
Effect of intestinal worms on Human Body
Intestinal worms stick or hook to the intestinal lining. Through this, they form a bridge to uptake important nutrients from the human body. This can lead to loss of important nutrition from the body. These deficiencies lead to many other conditions also like anemia, malnutrition, etc.
Due to the presence of tapeworms, intestinal obstruction is commonly seen, which is the leading cause for vitamin B12 deficiency. In case of chronic infections, pain in abdomen, malnutrition, vomiting etc. are also common.
In addition, if worms like Echinococcosis get in human blood circulation then they can travel to the liver and lungs resulting in the formation of cysts.
In ayurveda it is understood as Krimi roga and is of three types:
- Purisahaja krimi
- Kaphaj krimi
- Raktaj krimi
Intestinal worms are correlated with Purishaja Krimi, as already stated above.
Pureeshaj krimi have seven types:
They all are believed to have originated from purishaja (feces). Below are some of their features:
- Purishaja krimi are white in color and are very small in size.
- They produce pricking pain in anus.
- Sometimes, they are thick and bear tails.
- Cramps, dullness of complexion, low appetite, abdominal distention, lack of strength are the commonest symptoms.
- In addition, Gandu-pada worms are long in their shape and red in color. They usually produce symptoms like trimming pain (Shula), reverberate sound in the intestines, loose stool, and indigestion and come out of the anus producing sensation to itch.
Home Remedies for Intestinal Worms
Intestinal worms can be well managed with the help of some potential home remedies. These remedies also prevent the severities of the problem and its complications. The best home remedies for getting rid of intestinal worms are described here.
For Infants & Children
- Use Vidanga powder mixed with honey. This can be used in case of children aging 9 years and above and is to be given with Lukewarm water.
- Tulsi leaf swaras(juice) with honey is an ultimate remedy to be used in children. It is quite palatable for children. It can be efficaciously used for children below five years of age.
- The decoction of Vidanga can also be used for this purpose.
- If a child up to age of 4-5 years complaints of anus itching then, a cotton ball is to be soaked in sesame oil and has to be placed on anus area. It reduces itching.
- Fine Paste of Pumpkin seed with lukewarm water is also recommended.
- Raw papaya can also be included in the diet to combat the intestinal worms.
- Turmeric paste with honey is also another helpful trick to reduce worms.
- A fresh combination of dry ginger (adrak), honey and black pepper powder can be taken twice a day with Lukewarm water.
- Ajwain powder, black pepper powder, asafetida (hinga) granules, saindhava lavana (pink salt) or black salt are to be mixed together and consumed with lukewarm water.
- A mixture of dry ginger powder, dry garlic powder and turmeric powder along with honey can also be used.
- A decoction of drumstick bark (Moringa oleifera), Nagarmotha (Cyperus scariosus) and Daruharidra (Berberis aristata) along with powder of piper longum and vidanga is also useful.
- Neem juice also aids in deworming.
- Including carrots in the diet also assists in reducing intestinal worms.
- 1 tsp of Apple cider vinegar with warm water, every morning also helps in getting rid of worms.
Other Diet modifications
- In cases of intestinal worms one should ingest food materials having bitter and pungent tastes.
- Soup of Kulattha (a pulse) with ginger and garlic in it, is also recommended.
- Milk, meat, butter, curd, sweet tastes as well as cold things in general.
Intestinal worms can produce mild to severe symptoms in the host and can make patient severely ill. Maintaining hygiene helps in preventing such conditions. More care is to be taken specifically in case of children as they are more prone to this.
Moreover, one should avoid feeding sweets to children in excess because it is considered as the most triggering factor for purishaja krimi in children.
Author’s Bio: Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurveda) is an expert Ayurvedic Doctor based in Chandigarh, India, and doing his practice in Mohali, India. He is spreading the knowledge of Ayurveda – Ancient healing treatment, not only in India but also abroad. He is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Products, Planet Ayurveda Clinic, and Krishna Herbal Company. For more info visit our website: www.planetayurveda.com