A medical test used to understand the problem of the human body from the inside is very essential. Ultrasound scan gives live images from inside the body, which helps doctors do the treatment more effectively. This technology is widespread these days, and it is available in almost every government and private clinic and hospital. Never go for your ultrasound scan without the doctor’s permission. This is done only when the problem is a little severe and in women’s pregnancies.
Working Of Ultrasonography
This technology is very similar to sonar and radar, which our military uses to locate fighter planes and ships. Here what happens is high frequency sound waves is made to pass through your body and reach the organs. The reflected waves of the sound is noted on a sheet called sonogram. An ultrasound scan allows the doctor to see organs, vessels, and tissue problems without disturbing the regular functioning of these parts. Unlike other image techniques, ultrasound does not use radiation.
Purpose Of Ultrasound
Ultrasounds are commonly used in pregnancy to keep a check of the foetus. These scans can give a mother the very first glimpse of her unborn baby. However, testing has many other applications. Your doctor will do an ultrasound scan if he can’t recognize the problem from outside. Some issues like stomach pain, internal swelling etc., are difficult to remove without ultrasound.
An ultrasound can provide information about the following human body organs:
- Baby brain and eyes
Point To Note Before You Go For A USG
- If your stomach is being examined, your doctor may tell you to have a fast for eight to twelve hours before the ultrasound. Undigested food will disturb sound waves and make it difficult for the doctors for getting a clear photo.
- For a gall bladder, liver, pancreas, or spleen test, the doctor may suggest eating some fat-free foods in the evening before your appointment and then have a fast until the process.
- You can continue to drink water and take your medicines as instructed. Other tests may require you to drink plenty of water and hold your urine so that your bladder is full and visible.
- Inform the doctor if there are any prescription drugs, over the counter drugs, and herbal supplements before the procedure.
The Procedure Of Ultrasound Scan
- Sonographer or ultrasound scan technician will apply a special lubricating gel to your skin. This reduces the friction that can cause the ultrasound transducer to rub against your skin. The transducer looks like a microphone. Jelly also helps in the propagation of sound waves.
- High-frequency sound waves are transferred through the transducer to your body. When waves hit a denser object, such as a limb or bone, they resonate. These echoes are then returned to a computer. Sound waves have a pitch that is too high for the human ear to hear.
- Create a picture that the doctor can understand. You may need to adjust your position to allow the doctor for better work. Depends on the area which is going to be examined.
- The gel will be removed from your skin after the process. Depending on the area being treated, the entire process usually takes less than half an hour.
- After the procedure, depending on the area being examined, you will continue your normal activities.
The process of ultrasound is quite simple; experienced doctors know it very well. When you go for an ultrasound scan, make sure to check reviews about the doctor and the hospital. If you want some information about the process, go through the article. You will get some new things to know about Ultrasound.