Our skin is the first level of protection of our body from the foreign objects and harsh environments of our surrounding. Regular exposure to sun’s rays, when working or traveling, exposes the skin to the harmful UV rays coming from the sun. UV rays cannot only give skin burns but also damage it to cause a lot of skin related problems. One of them is tanning of the skin.
When does Tanning happen?
Tanning is a result of excessive melanin production. In this case, more melanin is produced in the exposed area of your skin. Contrary to the belief that melanin protects your skin from harmful UV rays, it also leaves a thick layer of it on your skin. This lingering layer of melanin causes tanning. With tanning, you are also prone to other skin conditions like wrinkles, aging of the skin, blemishes and excessive sunlight and UV rays can also lead to skin cancer too.
Tan on your skin can last from a few weeks to a few months depending upon your complexion and how you treat your skin. Curing the tan on the skin can be costly if you opt for advanced skin care treatments or products and may also develop side effects from them. Chemicals are harmful to your skin. But there is one natural product which has been the best remedy to cure tan naturally, not only skin tan but multiple skin related issues.
Why use Sandalwood for tanning?
Sandalwood is that beautiful gift for nature for your skin and its nurturing. Also known as ‘Chandan’ in Hindi it has been used for various skin related problems from early times and is also prescribed in Ayurveda for its miraculous properties. It can be used in the form of powder or as oil for skin care.
Benefits of sandalwood for the skin
Sandalwood is full of various unusual beneficial properties for the skin, such as: –
- It helps in removing pimples, acne, warts, and blemishes left by them when applied on the face.
- It repairs the dry skin by moisturizing it and keeps the skin hydrated and soft when applied as oil on the skin.
- It also has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, making it an excellent remedy for burns and any insect bites on the skin.
- Sandalwood powder also has the power to make your skin and face brighten up. Many skin brightening creams thus boast of having sandalwood in them as sandalwood provides a natural and instant radiance to your face and skin.
Sandalwood can be used to lighten your skin tone and remove tan. This can be achieved by using the following remedies at home using sandalwood powder and other natural ingredients:
1. Sandalwood, cucumber, curd, honey, and lemon juice
- Take one tablespoon of cucumber juice, one tablespoon of curd, one teaspoon of honey, one teaspoon lemon juice, and one tablespoon sandalwood powder in a bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients well to prepare a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your face and leave it on for15 minutes.
- Suntan with dark spots will get removed from the skin.
2. Sandalwood, yogurt, and orange
- Take one tablespoon sandalwood powder, one tablespoon yogurt, and one tablespoon orange peel powder in a bowl.
- Mix all these ingredients and make a smooth paste.
- Apply this on the tanned parts of your body and let it get dry.
- This will help you to get your original skin tone back.
3. Sandalwood, tomato, and lemon
- Take Half teaspoon red sandalwood powder, half a cup of tomato juice, and one tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix all these ingredients in a bowl
- Keep this mixture at rest for at least 15 mins. Then apply it on the tanned parts mainly on your face and neck.
- Leave it on for at least 20 mins and then wash it off.
4. Sandalwood, apple, and honey
- Mash an apple and reduce it to a pulp
- Add one teaspoon sandalwood powder
- Add one teaspoon honey
- Make a paste of a smooth consistency
- Apply this on your face and neck and keep it on for 15 mins.
- Upon drying, wash it off, and you will find your skin glowing.
5. Sandalwood and honey/milk
- Take a bowl
- Add one teaspoon of honey or milk
- Add one tablespoon of sandalwood powder (1 tablespoon)
- Mix them well until it becomes an excellent and consistent paste.
- Apply this on your tanned skin and keep the mask for half an hour, then wash it off with cold water. Do this three times a week to enhance the skin tone and remove skin tan.
6. Sandalwood, almond and milk
- Take a bowl
- Add one tablespoon sandalwood powder
- Add one tablespoon almond powder
- In another bowl, take enough milk
- Mix them to make a paste of medium consistency.
- Apply this on your face and let it dry.
- Apply the mask regularly, and you will see your skin becoming brighter fast.
7. Sandalwood and rose water
- Take a bowl
- Add two tablespoons sandalwood powder
- Add a little rose water
- Keep adding and mixing till it forms a paste
- Apply the paste on your tanned skin then leave it on for 20 mins and wash it off. Doing this 2 to 3 times a week will repair your damaged skin
8. Sandalwood and lemon
- Squeeze half a lemon’s juice
- Add four teaspoons of sandalwood powder
- Apply the mixture on your face and leave it on for 20 mins then wash it off. This will lighten up your skin and lessen the pain of skin burns.
These remedies are entirely natural and can be easily prepared at home. They do not have any side effects and offer you complete relief from a wide range of skin ailments including tanning.
Author Bio: Jennifer is a wellness lifestyle writer. She loves sharing her thoughts and personal experiences related to fitness, yoga, and natural remedies, through her writing. She can connect with others experiencing health concerns and help them through their recovery journeys through natural remedies.